5/7/12

A kid's BIRTHDAY NIGHTMARE!


Sometimes I just don't understand home economists. How do they come up with some of the crazy recipes you find in cookbooks and magazines? Do they think nobody will notice that they've completely come off the rails? Do they have any idea what a kid's face would look like if on their birthday they were served a bowl of cream of mushroom soup with a candle floating atop a piece of toast stuck in place with peanut butter? Do they think this kid would ever get another kid to come to one of their birthday parties again?


Click on image to see it larger.

This page is from Cooking with Soup published by Campbell's in probably the 1960s or '70s.

Looking for something to serve the kiddies before the unveiling of the Cream of Birthday soup? How about creamed corn with bologna? Mmmm mmmmm good!

I won't even comment about "swirly soups" being exciting. Nor will I ever cut a piece of cheese to look like an animal.

This is why I only took one year of Home Economics in high school. I was just too snarky for it.

2 comments:

  1. Felix0912/06/2012

    I have the same cookbook but a different edition. On your page 144 the soup and background are green. On mine they are light brown. The opposite page [145] claims to be an "Aid to Weight Watchers."

    I purchased my copy many years ago at a garage sale, and it does not have a printed date but I suspect it was printed in 1963. An inscription inside the front cover indicates the book was a Christmas gift in 1963 -- from "Mother" to "Marlys."

    Actually, I have enjoyed many of the recipes in the book and have especially found useful many times the chart of "Soup Mates" [Campbell's soups that are good mixed together] on pages 158 and 159.

    I like just about all soups but any Wicked Witch of the West-type mother [or other person of evil mind] who would serve soup of any sort at a child's birthday party should be DROWN in it.

    Children are only children once, and they should be allowed to enjoy the fare children have traditionally enjoyed at birthday parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So we now know there are two of these books out there in the hands of people who would never make soup for a kids birthday. This is good. We need to get more of them off the street to save the little precious ones from the soup nightmare. No soup for you!

      I too love soups, but haven't made anything from this book. It's just one of many many many I inherited from my mom.

      Delete