7/3/09

Send them home with SOMETHING IN THEIR STOMACHS


Looking for just the right dish to serve to guests this 4th of July? Something festive? Something colorful? Something that looks like you just threw it together the last minute? Look no further. Del Monte, Ladies Home Journal 1964, has supplied a simple recipe that would have a home economics teacher sighing. You'll send your guests home with something in their stomachs. I'm not sure how long they'll keep it down or if they'll even stay...but...perhaps if you have relatives coming that you wish would leave early....

Now, I know a lot of blogs offer recipes. Obviously this isn't the forte of my blog, but I didn't want to be left out completely. In my search through ephemera I'm often amazed, no make that stunned, by some of the recipes I find in magazines from the 50s through 70s. Earlier magazines still ran recipes where you were expected to cook, not just pour contents of cans into something. This recipe is the can pouring type. And whatever you do, don't take any shortcuts. Remember to use the garnish. The garnish is really what holds it all together. Presentation is everything. 

cream corn and bologna_July 1964_tatteredandlost
Click on image to see it larger...if you simply must.

My favorite book about these sort of recipes, shown in magazines and old cookbooks, is The Gallery of Regrettable Food by James Lileks. The book is hysterical. There is a link in the left column which will give you more information and reviews at Amazon. 

6 comments:

  1. It doesn't make any difference if I super-size the ad, I still can't read the recipe, dang it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Click on the ad which takes you to Flickr. Above the ad at Flickr you'll see a magnifying glass icon with "All Sizes" written next to it. Click on that and you'll be taken to the large size with all the incredible ingredients. See if that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11/27/2009

    The sad thing is, I am horribly disappointed having realized how this is actually made. XD; From the small version I was like, "YES. Those are AWESOME bread bowls!" and was having starry visions of making AWESOME bread bowls and putting something else in them... Only to find out they're pre-made dinner rolls with meat around the edges. So now I'm disappointed and disgusted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, they are COMPLETELY disgusting. The thought of these being served...blech! But they're also very funny when you think some company thought this would be enticing to their consumers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA, HA. Thank you for this real laugh aloud moment. Your blog is a hoot. I just spent two hours trying to make cheesy Xmas biscuits and created a sloppy dough that looked just like this revolting mess. You have put me back into a more or less normal mood again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well cheesy biscuits sound good. I'm sure once the big mound was baked it tasted yummy. These bowls of good? Not so much. There's nothing anyone could do to make these appealing. I just have to wonder what the Del Monte Company was thinking?

    ReplyDelete