7/9/09

S. S. President Cleveland ON THE HIGH SEAS


To read an update to this post click here.

I can close my eyes and remember standing aboard ship and watching the sun set on the horizon as we sailed to Hawaii, each day feeling the sea breeze grow warmer. I wish I could experience it again. 

These lovely cards are of the S. S. President Cleveland which sailed from San Francisco to Asia and back again. I believe these date to the later 50s to early 60s. 

S.S. President Cleveland_front_postcardtatteredandlost
S.S. President Cleveland_postcard front_tatteredandlost
S.S. President Cleveland_back_postcard_tatteredandlost
Click on images to see them larger.

The S. S. President Cleveland was part of the American President Lines. 
In 1938 the U.S. Government took over the management of the Dollar Steamship Co. which was in financial difficulties and transferred their assets to the newly formed American President Line. The company operated trans-Pacific and round-the-world services, but the war in Europe disrupted services and after the entry of the United States into the war, all the company's ships were taken over for war duties. After the war, only two ships were returned to the round-the-world service and two new ships were built 1947-48 for the trans-Pacific route. Further ships were later added to the fleet, but by 1972 only the PRESIDENT CLEVELAND (2) and PRESIDENT WILSON (2) were sailing as passenger ships and both were withdrawn from service the following year. The company still trades as a cargo company. (SOURCE: The Ships List)
To see photos of the interior click on this link to the site Cruising the Past. And to read a complete history of the lines click here for Wikipedia. Unfortunately I can't find any information about either illustrator.

I hope this bit of ephemera brings back memories to those who sailed the high seas in style and gives those who didn't a moment to pause and dream.

19 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/08/2011

    My father sailed aboard the SS President Cleveland from Hong Kong to San Francisco in 1949. I have the postcard with the yellow background from that journey. Therefore, that card probably dates back to at least 1949, though I suspect to 1947 when it first sailed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7/21/2013

    we sailed back from Manila in 1968 on the SS Cleveland after living on Stanley Point NAS for 3 years. Remember time spent in Hong Kong, Yokohama and Honolulu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to hear from people who remember the old days of cruise ships.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8/22/2017

      I too sailed on the Cleveland in 1968 coming back from Sangley Point NAS. Funny....are you my older brother?

      Delete
    3. I too sailed home from the P.I. on the Cleveland December 1971.

      Delete
  4. I was born on the SS President Cleveland on September 5, 1951 while docked in the port of Yokahama Japan. In 1963, I actually got to sail on the ship from SF to Manila. Even visited the room I was born in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fantastic! There's a wonderful story there to be told.

      Delete
  5. I sailed twice on the President Cleveland. Once in 1960 from San Francisco to Yokohama and then 1966 from Yokohama to San Francisco. I can remember both voyages vividly and it was a wonderful time. I have both postcards - the yellow background and the blue so they were still used in the 60s. Great memories. I also sailed on the SS President Hoover from Yokohama to San Francisco in 1963.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me just say I'm jealous. How wonderful to have sailed on these ships so many times. Thanks for the update about the possible age of the cards.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous10/03/2014

    I sailed on the president Cleveland in the fall of 1972 as an evaporator maintenance man, an engine room position similar to oiler. I made 2 6 week trips to Japan, Manila, Hong Kong and back to San Francisco. The ship was in pretty poor shape by then. At our union meeting the subject of air quality in one of the engine rooms was brought up. The soot in the air was so heavy that one could barely see across the engine room. It was decided not to make this an issue because the cost of the repairs could force the company to lay the ship up and our union would lose around 60 jobs. I piled off before the ship made her last trip. If I get a reply to this post I'll tell of the engine room explosion that nearly killed the entire engine room watch. It's an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do indeed want to hear the story. The crew in the engine room is the ones those on the upper decks forget about.

      Delete
    2. I just found your comment. I've been wondering recently about the Cleveland. I was a passenger in December 15,1971 - January 5, 1972 From Manila to San Francisco. It was a wonderful experience. I've been hoping to find pictures, especially interior pictures.

      Delete
    3. I can understand completely. I long for shots from the interior of the Matsonia in 1959. Alas, I do not have any photos of the interior of either ship. But wasn't ship travel so great back then? I hope someone eventually finds your request.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous4/16/2018

    Not sure if anyone looks at this anymore, but thought I would add my two cents. I sailed on the Cleveland as an Ordinary Seaman in 1968 and again in 1970. I wasn't quite 18 on the first voyage. Almost 68 now and those experiences still remain some of the most vivid of my life. What a tremendous opportunity for young nitwit like me to be exposed to so many different cultures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People still do find this post so I'm sure others will be interested to read your comment. And I think we are both lucky to have had the experience of sailing on ocean liners long ago. It's just not the same today.

      Delete
    2. I traveled as an 8 year old on the President Wilson in 1972 from San Francisco to the Philippines. Of course stopping in Hawaii and maybe Hong Kong. Memories are still with me 48 years later.

      Delete
  8. I found your post, I was looking for interior pictures of the Cleveland. I was fortunate to have sailed on the Cleveland December 15, 1971 - January 5, 1972. Our trip began in Manila and ended in San Francisco. It was one of the high lights of my life. Wish I could do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sailed from Yokohama to San Francisco January 1968. Voyage 157. I have the itinerary and stationary that my mother saved.

    ReplyDelete