1/5/13

Time to RUNAWAY FROM HOME: Part 1


I don't know about you, but I think it's time to run away from home. I mean, really pack a bag and get out of Dodge!

Oh sure, the only time I ran away I got no further than outside the front door. My mother took my threat as a challenge and said, "Okay!" as she grabbed a paper bag. She told me to put seven days of underwear in the bag and I could take one doll. I was stunned. Who runs away and takes underwear? Plus, I had a lot of dolls, my favorite being Rosie who I'd had since I was around four. She told me I couldn't take Rosie so I had to choose second best. I have no idea which doll I chose, but I do know they did not have a change of underwear.

I was determined to leave with the idea of heading to Ala Moana Shopping Center, which in my mind seemed like a great place to take up residence. I grabbed my bag and stomped down the stairs to the front door. My mom and dad said, "Goodbye!" then shoved me out the door and shut it behind me. Reality quickly set in as I stood there crying before going around the house and coming in the back door. I never ran away again; not that I didn't think about it a lot.

So grab a paper or plastic bag, your choice, and stuff in seven days of underwear unless you go commando. I will now offer some time traveling travel adventures. It's up to you to choose. Just know, once you're out the front door and on one of these trips there's no back door to sneak in.


Click on image to see it larger. (SOURCE: National Geographic, November, 1954)

I should probably warn you that some people in the past dressed like dorks. There's just no other way to put it. Families wore matching outfits. My family wore matching shirts so I remember all of this very well. And if you ever visit Awkward Family Photos you know that in some sections of society this is still an uncured disease. But hey, if a dorky outfit puts a "bounce in your step" why not?

Oh, and if you do find a travel agent willing to book you a flight on TWA...better make sure they don't look like Rod Serling. If you don't know who Rod Serling is you're definitely not up for one of these adventures, underwear or no underwear.

3 comments:

  1. Just what do you suppose the sunburned dude is looking at? It certainly ain't her, although I'd consider that a plus. Maybe there's a couple in matching underwear on the far side - out of the pool so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered about that too and thought maybe he was saying to his companion, "Don't look over your left shoulder. I said DON'T LOOK OVER YOU LEFT SHOULDER! The Rutherfords are coming this way and you'll never believe what they're wearing today!"

      Then again, I like that maybe there are some people on the other side of the pool going commando which has him thinking, "I don't miss Minneapolis in January at all!"

      Delete
  2. I spent nearly half my time on Oahu at Ala Moana, and could very well see myself also taking up residency there, ha

    ReplyDelete