1/11/13

Surprised by MAXFIELD PARRISH


Usually when perusing vintage magazines at an antique store I'm skimming so fast that most of the magazine is a blur. Only if I come upon something that ignites a visual spark do I slow up. Well, lucky me! When I opened this February 1921 issue of The People's Home Journal (which has a wonderful "all hail comrades!" sound to it) I was stunned by what I saw. A Maxfield Parrish on the inside back cover. This immediately went into my "I'm not leaving the store without this one!" stack.


Click on image to see it larger. (SOURCE: The People's Home Journal, February 1921)

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I think the Ferry Seed Company is one of the oldest, if not THE oldest seed company in the country. They were not the only company to see the benefit of hiring good artists to provide good advertising and packaging for their products. As a matter of fact, the older unopened Ferry seed packets are collectible. I wish I had some of their business paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know this.

      I sorted through a lot of old magazines yesterday and the only other big surprise was finding a Rockwell I'd never seen in a magazine called "The American Magazine."

      I've got some fun stuff coming. Let me know of any specific letterheads you've got and I'll look through the issues.

      Delete
  2. Great find. And of course, keep your eye out for paper dolls in those old magazines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh indeed! And I did find a Hansel and Gretel scene drawn by Berta and Elmer Hader.

      Delete