2/20/10

Ladies, WE DIDN'T FORGET YOU


There are only a couple ads in the back of The Correlator that are focusing on women. This is one of them.

Evelyn Buys a Corset_tatteredandlost
Click on image to see it larger.

Ohhhhhhh, I'm so glad I didn't have to wear one of these or even deal with the nonsensical reasoning why they were beneficial beyond fashion. I still remember a friend who would never get on a horse because riding was "bad for feminine organs." I think she got tired of my stare. Of course her father also said he wouldn't pay a penny to help her go to college because "...girls don't go to college. I'll pay for your brother." This was in the late 60s. Fortunately my parents put no boundaries on my life.

corset_tatteredandlost
Click on image to see it larger.

And how titillating was this ad in the yearbook? I mean, I remember the slut (special lady uniquely talented) at my school who posed for the motorcycle shot got even more popular with the boys and probably made even more trips to Tijuana (you don't want to know), but what primal urges did this corset lady bring out? What sort of comments were written on her page by boys bursting with hormones? One can only imagine. I'd love to know how many copies of this yearbook still exist.

I believe Gossard is still in business. And with the revival of the girdle, sort of, they might be back to making implements of torture. I simply don't know. Never go near the things.

6 comments:

  1. That reminded me of my headmaster telling my parents that it didn't matter what I did after I left school because I would just get married and have babies. I remember the intense feeling of shock...and I didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine this still goes on today. There are no doubt parents that are clueless trying to keep their daughters lives restricted. I remember another friend who wanted to be a doctor but was told by her step-father she could only be a nurse. So she became a nurse and a damn good one. She'd have made an even more excellent compassionate doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, look closely at corset girl...are you sure it's not a cross-dressing boy? Those corsets could cover a multitude of errr lumpy bits.

    Yes and I admit I have succumbed to 'Magic Knickers' for the occasional posh frock, they are the modern equivalent of the corset.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Posh Frock. Wasn't she one of the Spice Girls?


    Kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait...girdles are making a comeback! No...really? I have given up on women's fashion anyway. Maybe girdles would be welcome. But low-waisted pants that create that muffin-top look; those have got to go. They're really just a corset in the wrong place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it amazing how many girls/women(?) are walking around in close cropped tops, hip hugger jeans and a belly roll hanging out around the middle? I'm always stunned by this look. There are so many of them it's almost like wearing your own inner tube in public is a fashion statement. I can't imagine that it's particularly comfortable, all that flesh getting squeezed out the top.

    ReplyDelete