2/5/10

"AUNT HATTIE—LIAR"


Today's title is actually the title of a short story from the now infamous, at least around here, Saturday Evening Post magazine, April 14, 1934. The first few lines of the story written by Everett Rhodes Castle :
"It was generally conceded by our family that when Uncle Draper married Aunt Hattie he added no luster to the family name. Not that the family had any illusions about Uncle Draper. He never did an honest day's work in his life. Nor was there any of this you-couldn't-help-but-like-him about Uncle Draper's shiftlessness. He was a drunkard and a bully."
Okay. I'll have to decide if I want to read more.

From what I'm able to find about Mr. Castle he was a writer of short stories (a list can be found here), including one that was turned into a 39 episode tv series in 1953 entitled Colonel Humphrey Flack.

The illustrations shown here were done by George Brehm, with the one to the left and below used to illustrate the Saturday Evening Post story in April 1934.

I've spent some time searching for information about George Brehm, but I'm coming up pretty empty. He was born in 1878 in Anderson, Indiana, and died in 1966 in New York state. The only personal information I've found is:

George Brehm_illustration_tatteredandlost

"Noted illustrator George Brehm lived in Witherbee Court, where he also maintained his studio and from where he could cross the street to pursue his other great passion, golf, at the Pelham Country Club. Brehm's illustrations were featured on the covers of most major publications through the early decades of the 1900's. He also painted portraits of several Manor residents including that of Mrs. James F. Secor which hangs in the Manor Club." (SOURCE: Historic Pelham)
Pelham Manor is located in Weschester County in New York State.

Mr. Brehm also has art in the Brandywine River Museum collection in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania.

Here is a list of work he did for various magazines. If I ever find other illustrations in any of my old publications I'll post them. Otherwise I've only found a few others online.

Here is one that was from a Saturday Evening Post cover March 19, 1910.


And here's one found at Ask Art. There are a few more at this site unless you belong to the site and then I guess there's about 25.


And one I really like found at icollector.com with the following text:
Description George Brehm (1878-1966) Original Magazine Story Illustration (1934). Cosmopolitan July, 1934, for How Far is it to Hollywood? by Bess Streeter Aldrich. Caption: "The two girls hung on tightly as the bandits' car gathered speed. They heard the men arguing excitedly about the plan to be followed. And then Emma-Jo had an idea!" Charcoal on board (40 x 30), image size approximately 35 x 20.
Well, that's it for today. Have no idea what will strike my fancy next.

9 comments:

  1. Oooh, I'm really loving that artwork by George Brehm! Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Richard. I really like his work. I wish there were a book out showing all of these old illustrators with the work they did for the various magazines. Each chapter open with a couple pages of history and then pages of their work. Who knows, maybe there is such a book and I've just never seen it.

    I do know that Brehm also illustrated books because several showed up when I googled his name. Unfortunately none of them showed his work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I don't know about Uncle Draper, looks like a bit of a cad to me. However that jolly chat in the front of the sketch, looks like he's been on the Log Cabin Syrup. The family drawing reminds me a little of a posher version of 'The Broons' fabulous drawings by Dudley Watkins published by DC Thomson of Dundee in the Sunda Post for many many years. It pains me to use Wikipedia but it seems to be the most comprehensive source you can see it HERE

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fellow in front reminds me of William Howard Taft, 27th President.

    The Broons look quite interesting. I'll have to look around for more. I think my dad and uncle would get quite a kick out of these. Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

    Yes, Wikipedia. We spit on it all the time, mainly because I don't think we really trust it, but it serves its purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very full and interesting post. One that I'll come back to more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I picked up a very worn copy of a book entitled "The Carelton Case" (1910, Bobbs-Merrill) by Ellery H. Clark at a flea market today for two bucks. It is worthless as a collectable book, but I was drawn to the illustrations -- by George Brehm. There are 5 of them. If you're interested, I'll scan them and send them to you or post them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see the illustrations. If you post them please send me a link. If you'd like to have them posted on this site let me know and we can put something together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heritage Auctions recently featured a very interesting group of three story illustrtations by George Brehm, which really give you insight into his craft and unparalleled draftsmanship.

    In capturing human gestures and expression, Brehm was every bit the equal of Norman Rockwell. I think it's only a matter of time before George Brehm is even more widely recognized as being among the top tier of early twentieth century American illustrators.

    ReplyDelete