6/14/09

WILLIAM HOLDEN in the summer


One of my favorite summer movies is Picnic starring William Holden and Kim Novak. This post has nothing to do with that. It's just a mental reminder to me that some warm evening I need to get out my copy of the film and settle in for a bit of summer movie viewing.

I was out and about at flea markets today. No major purchases, but then I'm looking for things most people don't care about. Old paper stuff. If I'd been in the mood for junk jewelry or odd ceramic doodads I'd have come home with a trunk full of junk. No, I was looking for paper. I found an old movie magazine, Photoplay, from 1949 for a buck. The cover isn't in great condition, but I don't care. I didn't buy it in order to retire to the Hamptons. I bought it because it has a ridiculous article about Montgomery Clift with nice photos. Plus it has ads for old movies. Stick with me. This is why I'm thinking about hunky Holden. 

I can't afford old movie posters though I'd love to have a lot of them. The only one I have is a reproduction of a  Roy Rogers movie. It never dawned on me that old movie magazines would have ads. Duh! But I just never seem to find these magazines, at least not at prices I'm willing to pay. So it was a nice surprise to find this one for (here it comes) a William Holden film from 1949, Streets of Laredo. I'm sure I've seen this movie, but right now I can't remember it. According to my DishNetwork guide it won't be on this month so I'll have to check next months listings of the Western channel. Love the Western channel. Until then...

Streets of Laredo_tatteredandlost
Click on image to see it larger.

Okay, I'll admit the "Amigos! One for all and all for one" has me thinking of Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, and Martin Short doing their silly hip thrusting cough salute in Three Amigos.

To hear the theme song from the movie written by Jay Livingston and Ray Evans, who also wrote Buttons and Bows, click here for their official web site. And to see a couple of the actual posters from the film, as opposed to a magazine ad, click here and here. It's amazing how varied the advertising can be for a film.

And now that I've got the old classic Streets of Laredo running through my head I'll end with the beautiful voice of the late Marty Robbins.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, the beautiful and luscious Kim Novak! And William Holden, every baby boomer girl's hearthrob! I haven't watched "Picnic" in a long time, but what a great film.

    It's hard to imagine William Bendix as a shoot-em-up cowboy after seeing him in "The Life of Riley"! My husband would probably like this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, William Bendix...has to be humorous sidekick. I do remember seeing him in some films playing a bad guy, but the idea of him holding a gun? I just imagine all sorts of screw ups. I'm going to keep an out to see if this comes on TCM or Encore Western. I'll post an update when and if it shows up in the guide.

    ReplyDelete