6/3/13

On FARNUM STREET in Omaha, Nebraska in 1908


This was going to be a quickie post; come in, drop the images, then leave. But if anyone knows me after following this site you'll know that an old piece of paper can lead me to a place I hadn't planned on.

Today I give you two businesses that existed across the street from each other in 1908 Omaha, Nebraska. I'll let the images I found in old newspapers at the Library of Congress tell the little stories.




Click on images to see them larger.

On the left side of the street you'll see Dresher Tailors.



April 20,1902, Omaha Bee



June 2, 1905, Omaha Bee



November 12,1905, Omaha Bee



April 8,1906, Omaha Bee



May 26,1907, Omaha Bee



October 13,1907, Omaha Bee



September 4,1910, Omaha Bee



October 2,1910, Omaha Bee



November 24, 1910, Omaha Bee


On the right side of the street you'll see Balduff's Ice Cream Parlor and Restaurant.



November 20,1897, The Courier


November 24,1898, Omaha Bee

April 20,1902, Omaha Bee


November 5,1905, Omaha Bee


July 26,1906, Omaha Bee


June 26,1907, Omaha Bee

Want ad from The Ice Cream Trade Journal in 1908




November 14,1908, Omaha Bee


February 2,1909, Omaha Bee

March 20,1909, Omaha Bee


March 24,1909, Omaha Bee


April 10,1909, Omaha Bee


August 4,1909, Omaha Bee

August 3,1909, Omaha Bee

So the ice cream parlor did not survive and was running an ad the day after the takeover of their premises. I don't know what became of the tailor.

5 comments:

  1. On a hot day, take a barrel home in your pocket. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy the old ad copy in magazines. So optimistic, and full of innocent hustle. If there is such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dresher Brothers remained open in Omaha until
    around 1960, give or take a year. My Dad, Earl
    A. Hill, began working at Dresher Brothers when
    he was about 18 or 19. That would have been in
    1917/18. I believe he began as a route-driver
    doing pick-up and delivery. He worked his way up
    and in 1945 was named Plant Superintendent; a
    position he held until 1956/57. I have many fond
    memories of A. V. Dresher because often times I was
    was with my Dad when, at the end of the
    work day, he drove Mr. Dresher to his home. Most
    every time I was along Mr. Al gave my Dad 50
    cents to buy us a quart of Ice Cream at
    Hollywood's Ice Cream store in Benson. Memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this. It makes it come alive. Glad you found the post and it meant something to you,

      Delete
    2. My great grandmother’s father and brothers ran this business. She was Elsie Dresher, later Elsie Smith. Her father Samuel and her brothers ran the business. Her uncle William Dresher died in the battle of Spottsylvania in the Civil War. I have visited his grave at Arlington. So happy to find this stuff. Thank you much

      Delete