3/4/13

HAWAII in the early 1960s


These images are from a 1963 California textbook entitled Hawaii: The Aloha State by Helen Bauer. I found it in a thrift store many years ago along with a second Hawaii textbook also published by California. I wish I had the books I used in the 4th grade in Hawaii when we studied state history.

This first shot shows a Matson liner at the Aloha Tower.


Click on image to see it larger.

This second shot is the Waikiki I remember from childhood. The domed building in the foreground was the Kaiser Dome, part of the Hawaiian Village resort. Heading towards Diamond Head you see an open expanse of beach with rafts out in the water. This is Fort DeRussy. At the time it was a private military beach where we went for picnics and a day of swimming without all the tourists.

The Ala Wai can be seen on the left. I used to walk along the canal on my way to and from school at Thomas Jefferson Elementary. Though I have bad memories of my class and horrific teachers, the grounds of the school were beautiful. I keep hoping to find some photos of the school as it was in the 1950s, but have never found anything.


Click on image to see it larger.

The image below is from Kamaaina56's Flickr site. He has posted hundreds of old images of the Hawaii we both remember as kids. I do believe there is a hint of the Thomas Jefferson Elementary in this shot on the right behind the trees.


Ala Wai Canal Boats
Click on image to see it larger. (SOURCE: Kamaaina56)

No comments:

Post a Comment