2/26/13

MATSON ad, May 1937


For anyone who has followed this odd corner of the universe for any length of time you'll know my love for the Matson Lines and Hawaii back in the 1950s and '60s. If you aren't aware of this and want to bore yourself for a little while just click on some of the label links below.

This ad was the front inside cover of The American Magazine, May, 1937. Obviously there were still enough people who had spendable cash to take trips during the depression. You had to be very well off to go on one of these cruises, or at least been saving your pennies for a long time.


Click on image to see it larger.

I'm always searching for images from the Hawaii I remember. The Hawaii of today is a foreign land. The landmarks, even a couple of my homes, are long gone. But, I know there are others out there who remember these times; military kids who were uprooted from the Mainland and suddenly dropped into paradise. In my searches online I found the Flickr site of Kamaaina56. Hundreds of images of long ago vistas and buildings. I sat for hours looking at them, memories flooding back to a time that I still long for. I miss the magic of the place. It was indeed the most incredible place to be a child.

Stop on over to Tattered and Lost Photographs to see a mystery photo of a hotel in paradise. My problem is which paradise?

4 comments:

  1. Don't know when you were a kid there, but I just posted some brochures from the 1950s.
    http://www.retrohound.com/tag/hawaii/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I was first there around '52, but have no memory. Then again in '53. Moved there in '59 and left in '62.

      These look great!

      Delete
  2. But, I know there are others out there who remember these times; military kids who were uprooted from the Mainland and suddenly dropped into paradise.

    I read this line of yours and it touched me because you perfectly described how I (like you) wound up in the Territory of Hawaii. Lived there many years and have been back many times, in fact going out at the end of the month for our 30th anniversary. It's never quite the same, still a lovely place, just different...

    "Kamaaina56"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And how many of us went through Thomas Jefferson Elementary? I'm betting a lot. Sadly I had a teacher who hated military children and she went out of her way to make life hell.

      Delete