1/5/12

The MAKING OF A SOLDIER in 1918


This was a Christmas gift which belonged to my best friend's grandfather who served in World War I. I have been unable to find one online so I have no information to enlighten us and as you can see part of the front cover is missing, thus I'm not positive of the title.

Is part of it offensive? Yes. It's a product of its time.

I probably won't be able to scan all of it because it is so fragile. The cover has already completely come off and it wasn't like that when I got it. So I may or may not be able to post more of this vintage post card ephemera in days to come.

For now, this is the front cover, interior front cover, and first page.





Click on any image to see it larger.

5 comments:

  1. WOW. No time to post. I'm following. Any mention anywhere of the name of the artist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately there isn't any information about the illustrator. I'm really stunned that I can't find one online. Probably right in front of me and I'm not finding it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I have now found a name. Go to the next post and you'll see the last page in the booklet has the word "Gunny" written up in the left hand corner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a find from WWI. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can thank my best friend and her relatives who saved this. I am now the home of this strange old ephemera.

    ReplyDelete