7/26/11

MAURICE THOMAS meets Barbara Cartland


It would be too easy for me to write a snarky post about author Barbara Cartland. To those that didn't like her writing she became a caricature of the whole romance novel genre. She cranked out books like McDonalds cranks out burgers. Her physical appearance was of thin blond cotton candy hair, a ton of makeup, a sagging jowl, and pink; everything was pink. But people loved her.
Dame (Mary) Barbara Hamilton Cartland, DBE, CStJ (9 July 1901 – 21 May 2000), was an English author, one of the most prolific authors of the 20th century. As Barbara Cartland she is known for her numerous romantic novels, but she also wrote under her married name Barbara McCorquodale.

She also became one of London's most prominent society figures and one of Britain's most popular media personalities, appearing often at public events and on television, dressed in her trademark pink and discoursing on love, health, and social and political issues. She is widely regarded as having originated the phrase: "I'm bringing sexy back", as popularised by singer Justin Timberlake.

Cartland is the seventh most translated author in the world and published 723 books. (SOURCE: Wikipedia)
I can still remember a tv show doing a piece about her which had me shaking my head. It showed Cartland relaxing on a settee, in full Cartland garb, dictating a novel to a secretary. I was dumbfounded by how this stuff just rolled off her tongue.
"No! No! Alex…no!”

The protest was not vehement, and the man whose lips were very close to Romina’s smiled a little smile of triumph before he answered:

“Why fight? You love me—I know you do. Stop fighting, Romina, and let us be happy. I will teach you what love really is—glorious, wonderful, overwhelming.”

The deep voice with its faint accent was hypnotic. So was the soft, experienced touch of his hands, and Romina felt herself drifting into a No-Man’s-Land of warmth and feeling. (from Danger by the Nile)


For those who need more of Barbara you'll be happy to know she has a website.

This book is another one from the cabin. I have never read it.





What about the illustrator of this book cover, Maurice Thomas? He actually gets credit on the copyright page. I know I've done a post about some of his work, but now can't find it. He was known for doing romance novels and pulp fiction covers. If I ever figure out which post from the past contained information about him I'll add a link to this post.

In the meantime here is a link to a site showing another one of his illustrations, including an original.

This book was published in September of 1967.

No comments:

Post a Comment