3/26/09

Today's word...FEVER


fever
|ˈfēvər| noun
an abnormally high body temperature, usually accompanied by shivering, headache, and in severe instances, delirium : I would take aspirin to help me with the pain and reduce the fever.

sample |ˈsampəl| noun
a small part or quantity intended to show what the whole is like

Having a fever gets you thinking and sometimes what you're thinking is pretty weird. Like samples. I thought of samples.

As I took Tylenol this week to get rid of my fever I thought of aspirin which got me thinking back on samples of aspirin and how you used to get said samples in little metal boxes. And you didn't get just one or two pills, you got enough to fill the little box. These days you get maybe two pills tightly sealed inside a little throwaway packet. You take the pills, you throw away the packet, you forget what the product was. Much cheaper than the old boxes, but advertising wise not nearly as useful. With the little boxes you got enough product to make it productive plus you were left with a nice little box to fill up later with product. The boxes fit nicely in a purse or pocket so you carried their advertising with you.

fever_tatteredandlost
These little metal boxes show their age. They've been knocked around. They're scratched and rusted and dented. They're not plastic which is lifeless and never seems to go away. I wouldn't save little plastic boxes like I do old tins. They'd look the same 30 years from now. They'd look like...plastic.

Next weeks word:

rash | ra sh | adjective
displaying or proceeding from a lack of careful consideration of the possible consequences of an action

rashes_tatteredandlost

No comments:

Post a Comment