4/5/09

DAVID PALLADINI


When I was in college I began to earnestly collect children's books and works illustrated by David Palladini were some of the first. I know he still works as an illustrator, but I haven't seen anything new in a long time, so it was fun to find this brochure from 1970 at the flea market. 

The brochure was published by Eaton Laboratories, Division of the Norwich Pharmacal Company. They put out a series of, as they called them, "vignettes based on 'Troubled Waters,' a manuscript of the late Benjamin S. Abeshouse, M. D., a practicing urologist whose lifetime avocaton was the collection of historical data dealing with the influence of genitourinary disease in the lives of famous men and women." 

This particular piece is about Henry VIII. I thought it appropriate since "The Tudors" begins its third season tonight on Showtime. Below are the pages of illustrations. For any Palladini fan this is a nice little find.

David Palladini_cover_tatteredandlost

David Palladini_1_tatteredandlost

David Palladini_2_tatteredandlost

David Palladini_4_tatteredandlost

David Palladini_3_tatteredandlost

David Palladini_5_tatteredandlost

David Palladini_6_tatteredandlost

And for a moment of levity I present in honor of Henry the following which has a good beat and it's easy to dance to.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/06/2009

    Oh this was fun. I love the illustrations. so familiar, and yet, not quite. It is like I have 'almost' seen them somewhere. THe lady with the wrap around her mouth.. could be my journal cover for this year.. except it makes me feel uncomfortable. It's True but uncomfortable.
    I love the perfect follow up with 'erman. It was more of a sing-a-long than a dance op. for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Palladini did a famous set of Tarot cards way back when. Maybe that's what you're recalling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4/07/2009

    Yes. Yes. YES. The Tarot Deck. That is where I have seen his work.
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7/18/2012

    David Palladini's latest book "Journal of an Artist" is worth reading, available at Amazon and Black Swan Press. I enjoyed the stories of his adventures in Jamaica and France, as well as the art he created there."Gigi"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi! I'll look into this. Nice getting information like this.

      Delete